Advancing the future of agriculture & natural resources
Our research helps to save industries, create new jobs, and improve production to feed more people—while reducing our impact on climate and the environment.
Collaborative + Complementary
With 13 departments and numerous programs and affiliated centers, our research is diverse, impactful, and trusted by Oregonians, industry leaders, public agencies, and government bodies who look to us regularly for unbiased insights that shed light on some of the most complex challenges facing society.
- Agricultural Education & Agricultural Sciences
- Applied Economics
- Animal and Rangeland Sciences
- Biological & Ecological Engineering
- Botany and Plant Pathology
- Crop and Soil Science
- Environmental and Molecular Toxicology
- Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Sciences
- Food Science and Technology
- BioEnergy Education
- Biological Data Sciences
- Bioresource Research Program
- Entomology Program
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Science Program
- International Double-Degree Program
- Leadership Minor
- Natural Resources Program
- Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Plant Sciences at Oregon State University
- Eastern Oregon Agriculture and Natural Resource Program
- Sustainability Double-Degree Program
We are out there
As a part of our land grant mission, we serve communities through our experiment stations and research centers at 14 locations across the state. Including:
- Central Oregon Agricultural Research and Extension Center
- Coastal Oregon Marine Experiment Station
- Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center
- Eastern Oregon Agricultural Research Center
- Food Innovation Center
- Hermiston Agricultural Research and Extension Center
- Klamath Basin Research and Extension Center
- Malheur Experiment Station
- Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center
- North Willamette Research and Extension Center
- Southern Oregon Research and Extension Center
We are home to 11 centers and institutions that lead interdisciplinary research across the state, nation and world to solve some of our most pressing challenges.
CAS CENTERS AND INSTITUTES AND PROGRAMS
- Center for Small Farms & Community Food Systems
- Global Hemp Innovation Center
- Marine Mammal Institute
- Oregon IPM Center
- Oregon Wine Research Institute
- Translational and Integrative Sciences Center
- Western Sun Grant Regional Center
We offer both undergraduate and graduate student research opportunities that have real-world impact. Every year, our undergraduate researchers present their work at a research fair that is attended by leading industry and public agency representatives eager to learn from and invest in the future of discovery. Learn more.
With more than $900M in total research expenditures, both government agencies and leading industries invest in the work of researchers at the College of Agricultural Sciences. Our scientists are more globally cited for their research than any other educational institution in the state.
To see some of the recent grants awarded to our faculty, visit this page.
Faculty Research Labs
Our world-class faculty have established dozens of research labs that study specific issues relating to natural resources and agriculture, often in collaboration with other agencies and institutions. Browse our list of current labs, and contact our faculty through these sites if you’d like to learn more.
Land, Sea, Space, Sun
Oregon State University is an R1 research-intensive public land-grant university, but it doesn’t stop there. We are one of only two universities in the country with Land-, Sea-, Space-, and Sun-Grant designations.
Each grant has its own focus and mission, but together they mean one thing. There is nowhere our research can’t go. The College of Agricultural Sciences is OUT THERE.
Our work solves seemingly impossible problems and creates lasting opportunities every day, with students and faculty engaged in hands-on research and outreach.
Our scientists bred the hop variety that launched the craft beer movement and helped save the hazelnut industry by developing blight-resistant varieties.
Our Beaver Classic™ brand of products is made entirely by students as part of their experiential learning.
Thousands of food businesses and entrepreneurs have found success through our Food Innovation Center in Portland.
On the front lines of emerging science and industries, we launched the nation's largest interdisciplinary research center focused exclusively on hemp.
Our faculty are regularly called on by industry leaders, public agencies, and government bodies to provide their expertise and unbiased insights that shed light on some of the most complex challenges facing society.
As part of the Statewide network with the Branch Experiment Stations, Extension and the Forest Research Labs, our impact is felt by nearly every Oregonian.